Saturday, August 21, 2010

Pork Explosions!


Pork Explosions
CLICK HERE FOR PHOTOS
We had a potluck at my office on Friday. I volunteered/was coerced into making pork explosions. For the uninitiated, it is bacon that is woven into a mat upon which a pound of pork sausage is pressed and then a layer of chorizo (Mexican spicy sausage). The chorizo is my own twist. The standard version calls for cooked bacon to be crumbled on the sausage layer. Add in some spices and roll into a heart attack shaped log. I have found that with all the fat, it's much better to smoke them first to cook them without flareups. After smoking for 4-5 hours I finish them on the grill with a chipotle-cinnamon BBQ sauce. Needless to say, not for vegans or those with a weak heart. I made 5 and there were 0 left, so I guess that's a good thing. If you are thinking of trying this out, I caution you that it is a costly and time consuming process. These took me a total of 6-8 hours to prepare, smoke and grill. If you do try it, let me know how it works out!

No comments:

Post a Comment